Walters Cultural Arts Center
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
We invite you to apply to the Walters Cultural Arts Center
2021-22 Gallery Season Call!
ABOUT THE WALTERS
The Walters Cultural Arts Center is a premier west side visual arts, performance, and arts education facility in downtown Hillsboro. For more information about our facility, concerts, gallery season, ongoing cultural events, classes and workshops for all ages, and more, please visit us online at www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/Walters
Our gallery provides a community showplace for the arts and is a vibrant representation of the City’s commitment to culture and the arts. As part of the Cultural Arts division of Hillsboro Parks & Recreation, the Walters and its programs share in the City's goal of providing diverse, innovative and exceptional recreational and cultural opportunities that enrich the lives of our citizens.
ABOUT OUR GALLERY SPACES
The Walters galleries are wheelchair accessible and made up of two distinct spaces that can hold separate exhibits or be combined for larger exhibits. Exhibits may be offered to selected applicants in either or both spaces.
Upstairs Gallery (Walters): This is a fine art gallery space located on the second floor of the Walters.
Lower Level Gallery Hallway (Walters): The lower level gallery hallway is located near our active classrooms and studios.
Shirley Huffman Auditorium Gallery (Hillsboro Civic Center): Applicants who are local to Hillsboro and/or those whose work reflects Hillsboro or Washington County may be invited to show work in the Shirley Huffman Auditorium.
- RECEPTIONS: On the first Tuesday of each month, we host an evening reception for the current gallery exhibit(s). Receptions are open to the public and include live music, food, coffee and tea, art activities, artist talks and demos, artisan vendors, and more! This event is part of the Downtown Hillsboro First Tuesday Art Walk.
- AUDIENCE: The gallery is open during concerts, classes, private rentals and other cultural events, bringing a broad public audience to exhibits throughout the year.
- PUBLICITY: Gallery exhibits are advertised in the citywide Hillsboro Parks and Recreation Activities Guide each term, in the HillsboroARTS Magazine, as well as on the Walters website.
- INSTALLATION: All exhibits are installed by the Walters Cultural Arts Center.
EXHIBIT PERIODS AND RELEVANT DATES
Applicants must have artwork available for a two-month period during one of the following six exhibition periods. In addition to having their artwork available for display for at least one of the exhibition periods, the applicant must be able to meet with the gallery staff and drop off/pick up artwork in-person at the Walters in downtown Hillsboro according to the dates listed below. Note: we are not open on weekends and can only accept artwork drop-offs or pick-ups during working hours Mon-Fri.
2021-2022 Exhibit Dates:
August 3 (2021)—September 24 (2021)
*Gallery Meeting or Call with Gallery Staff: early June (2021)
Artwork drop-off: Second week of July (2021)
Artwork pick-up: September 27 or 28 (2021)
October 5 (2021)—November 19 (2021)
*Gallery Meeting or Call with Gallery Staff: early August (2021)
Artwork drop-off: Second week of September (2021)
Artwork pick-up: November 22 or 23 (2020)
December 7 (2021)—January 21 (2022)
*Gallery Meeting or Call with Gallery Staff: early October (2021)
Artwork drop-off: Second week of November (2021)
Artwork pick-up: January 24 or 25 (2022)
February 1 (2022)—March 25 (2022)
*Gallery Meeting or Call with Gallery Staff: early December (2021)
Artwork drop-off: Second week of January (2022)
Artwork pick-up: March 28 or 29 (2022)
April 5 (2021)—May 27 (2022)
*Gallery Meeting or Call with Gallery Staff: early February (2022)
Artwork drop-off: Second week of March (2022)
Artwork pick-up: May 30 or 31
June 7 (2022)—July 22 (2022)
*Gallery Meeting or Call with Gallery Staff: early April (2022)
Artwork drop-off: Second week of May (2022)
Artwork pick-up: July 25 or 26
*Gallery meeting dates are flexible and can be arranged further in advance if needed
Final exhibits are selected and curated by the Walters Cultural Arts Center.
Selection criteria include:
- Artistic Merit: Strength of composition and design, visual impact, technical craftsmanship, originality, and community and/or cultural significance.
- Venue Appropriateness: We are looking for artwork that is appropriate for display in a publicly-funded venue that serves a broad, all-ages community. We also take into account logistical considerations specific to our building and its other programs and functions.
- Diversity: We make selections with a season of exhibits in mind. Over the season, we hope to represent a diversity of mediums, themes, and artists. We may group together artists whose work speaks to one another in some way.
Artists will be notified no later than February 6, 2021.
HOW TO APPLY
Between October 1 and December 1, you will be able to apply through the Submittable system.
You will be asked to create a Submittable account if you don't already have one. There is no charge to create an account or to apply. The application itself can be saved online and worked on indefinitely until the deadline.
If you have a question about eligibility or the application questions or requirements, please send an email to: Karen.DeBenedetti@hillsboro-oregon.gov, by 11/25 (earlier preferred) so that there is sufficient time to respond to your question. (We cannot guarantee responses in time for the application deadline after this date due to the fact that members of our team are on part-time schedules.) Thank you for planning ahead.
For technical support (i.e. if you are having problems submitting your application) please contact the friendly & helpful folks at Submittable:
Submittable Support Phone: (855) 467-8264, ext. 2
Submittable Support Email: firstname.lastname@example.org